photo credits, Mystic Seaport
Saint Patrick Roman Catholic Church
The History of St. Patrick Church
On October 30, 1870, St. Patrick Church was dedicated
by Bishop Francis McFarland, and Father Patrick
Lawler.The dedication ceremony was largely attended by all denominations and nearly 2,000 people were present.
At that time the Catholic population numbered 450 souls.
The Stonington Mirror reported the dedication in its November 5, 1870 edition:
On Sunday last, Right Reverend Francis P. McFarland dedicated St. Patrick Church at this place. At 9 o'clock Father James Reynolds, at the head of about 130 children and youth awaiting Confirmation, along with the laity and spectators, went out to meet the Bishop at the top of the hill on the Stonington side.
The trustees of the Westerly and Stonington churches came in a barouche and escorted them to the church. The Bishop and the priest passed down the east aisle, out around the church and returned to the chancel by the west aisle, reading in Latin the dedication service. The church was then pronounced dedicated to the worship of God under the name and patronage of St. Patrick.